Jena Questen graduated from Colorado State University in 2001, started a house call practice, and began incorporating aquatics shortly thereafter. Today, she owns Aspen Park Vet Hospital in Conifer, Colorado, and treats multiple fish patients each week.
In addition to maintaining her veterinary practice, she also held these positions:
Search for Experts, Expert Consulting Services, Inc June 2006-present
- Expert witness for multiple court cases regarding veterinary issues, animal care, and behavior, on multiple species including horses, dogs, cats, fish, and cattle
Novartis Animal Health January 2012-August 2013
- Professional Services Veterinarian, aquatics consultant, solely responsible for technical aspects of the aquatics division for the entire US, including traveling throughout the US to teach veterinarians about fish, travel to Israel to study the Koi Herpes Virus Vaccine production facility, and Chile to further study aquatic fish production facilities.
Tropaquatics Pet Fish and Small Animal Wholesaler November 2016-2019
- FDA veterinarian of record for the Denver facility - ceased operation in 2019
- Oversaw the medications used in the facility, and twice-yearly inspections to ensure the care of the animals, including fresh and marine fish, ferrets, mice, rats, fish, reptiles, and birds
SeaQuest Aquarium Southwest Plaza Mall May 2018-August 2021
- Veterinarian of record for the Denver facility
- Responsible for overseeing medications and animal care in the facility, including monthly inspections for a variety of animals including capybara, birds, reptiles, a sloth, octopus, small-clawed otters, Savannah cats, ducks, and fresh and marine fish species.
Other notable aquatic accomplishments include:
- Wisconsin State Certified Fish Health Inspector 2007
- Three-year appointments to the American Veterinary Medical Association aquatics committee representing private clinical practice-companion aquatic animal 2008-2011
- Second appointment to the aquatics committee, one year as chair 2011-2014
- Chair of the Aquatics Promotion and Outreach Subcommittee
- AVMA liaison to the Alliance of Marine Mammal Parks and Aquariums 2011-2014
- Veterinary Advisory Committee to the Alliance of Marine Mammal Parks and Aquariums
- Became the 21st person to achieve the CertAqV designation through WAVMA in 2014
- Credentialing Committee of the World Aquatic Veterinary Medical Association 2016-2020
- Executive Board Member of the World Aquatic Veterinary Medical Association 2017-present
- President of the World Aquatic Veterinary Medical Association for 2020
- Amazon Research Center for Ornamental Fishes (ARCOF) Board of Directors 2018 to present
- Professional Animal Trainer through the Dolphin Research Center completed 10/2019
- Elected to the WAVMA Board as the Director of the Americas for 2023
Dr. Questen has lectured locally and at VMX(formerly NAVC), AVMA, and WSAVA on issues of interest to private practice practitioners in aquatic animal medicine including holistic modalities, surgery, and business. She brings a wealth of knowledge and experience for the private practice aquatic veterinarian and for caregivers of pet fish of all kinds.